Friday, April 10, 2009

PUBLIC DISCOURSE


Speaking on the Death Penalty at Illinois State University

The Illinois State University Global Review Organization has invited me to speak with their organization and the student body of ISU on Thursday, October 27th, at 7:00 PM in the Eleanor Kong Room on the first floor of Walker Hall. The subject for the evening will be the death penalty. The organization invited me to speak due to my prior experience of prosecuting death penalty eligible cases in New York City.

The college class of Faith United Methodist Church invited me to speak on the same subject on Sunday evening at 5:30 PM, October 23rd.

While in New York City, and while serving as a prosecuting attorney in Illinois, among the types of trials I tried to completion were sixty-five homicide cases. As one who attempted to be a Christian in the courtroom serving the public in the role of a prosecuting attorney I spent years pondering the Biblical perspective on the death penalty and the sanctity of life in general.

While I certainly don't hold myself out as one with all the "answers," I've spent a lot of time in deep thought on the subject and am one who journeyed from one who had no particular view one way or the other on the subject, to one who was shaped by the realities of every day experiences. During the days ahead I hope to share with you thoughts of a Christian in the courtroom ... and, I would invite and seek your thoughts in return.

As we venture into this timely area of Christian consideration, let us do so in a spirit of deep prayer and reverence, with the upmost respect for all opinions validly held by our fellow sisters and brothers in Christ.

Stan

No comments:

Post a Comment